click the link and see how shadows are art.
It is vital to create an illusion with a 2D painting and create a 3D image by simply casting lights and shadow to form the picture. The simple use of changing tones can cause a picture to Pop Out and become eye catching.
Many artist will squint to to the values transition form . While squinting you want ask yourself does the value of color creating a form. It is a must to keep the shadows and lights separated to make a strong form. Color temperature does well to see value in paintings
Value is the lightness or darkness a color or hue.
- In painting, value changes can be achieved by adding either black or white to the chosen color. (chart on left)
- However, this also reduces the saturation and adds to the dilution of the color.
- Value is used to create a focal point within a painting or drawing.
- The human eye is immediately drawn to a light element against a dark element. This creates, the focal point of interest.
- To create the illusion of depth, gradations of value are also used.
- Areas of light and dark give a three-dimensional illusion of form to subject matter.
Read more: http://www.finearttips.com/2010/05/the-importance-of-value-tone-in-painting/#ixzz2fSYmjKLT